Monday, October 4, 2010

Living/not living in the moment, empty holes and cupcakes.

While still living in San Antonio, a few weeks before our departure to the Great Northwest, my husband and I had a discussion about living in the moment. We realized that for the past 6+ months we hadn't been living in the moment at all, but rather rushing our minutes, hours, days, weeks and months because we wanted the time to go by so quickly, so that we could get out of Texas and back home to Washington.

I then made a conscious decision that from that moment forward I would make every effort to "live in the moment" and enjoy life as it is happening. This conscious decision lasted up until last week, when I realized I was no longer "living in the moment" but rather reverting back to my old ways of looking at the clock for the day to be over so that I could go home and be with my husband, or trying to rush through the week so that it would be my weekend. 

This shouldn't be a surprise to me, when I was a child I donned myself as the "official time keeper", always having my watch on and always watching the time. I have had this constant struggle with enjoying the days as they come, one by one for a very long while. Now, don't get me wrong...there are moments I cherish as they are happening and enjoy being in, but for the most part during normal schedules of work and errands, I am not living in the moment. So I guess my goal is to try and live ALL my moments, "in the moment", instead of just the moments that I obviously enjoy (time with husband, family, friends etc). Hope you all are "living in the moment" and if any of you have helpful tips to how you accomplish this,  let me in on it :)


So now onto the two lighter topics, empty holes and cupcakes...

After having my ears stretched to a not-so-hardcore double 0 for about 2 years, I decided this morning that it was time to take them out. I took out my septum ring last month and I knew the moment would soon come where I no longer wished for my ears to be stretched either...it was inevitable. I look forward  to wearing normal earrings someday and am fully prepared for my ears to resemble a cats anus for quite sometime.




Lately I have been craving a delicious cupcake, so much that I woke this morning to tell my husband of my dream that consisted of peach pies and pretty cupcakes...much to his amusement. I took this as a sign that I need to just give into my craving and get a cupcake. I was at Whole Foods today and their bakery has all sorts of marvelous looking baked goods, so I picked out this rich, chocolatey confection rightfully named "Chocolate Eruption Cupcake. It was so rich that I had to scrape off the top frosting. My craving is no longer existent.



3 comments:

  1. i love it.

    i too, have issues with time. mostly with being late to anywhere and with making sure that all that i have to do gets done, which results in a very harried Michelle, sucking the joy out of every moment. I'm trying to work on it. The chill in the air helps me slow down as it signals the need for a cup of tea-a good book-and pajama pants.

    I love that you took the gauges out. Mine have closed as well, but still get that funky stink when i wear normal earrings. weird, right?

    mmm. chocolate cupcake. i'll get one tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel comfort in knowing that I am not the only one with time issues. Although, I am the person who always shows up wayyyy to early, at least 15 mins ahead of schedule..its lame. haha

    Dang, I was thinking the funk smell would go away! Can you successfully wear normal earrings now? Can you even tell they were stretched? It seems that it varies obviously depending on the size they were stretched to and the elasticity in the individuals ear.

    Get one, you won't regret it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lizzie. If I didnt have my mom and a ten year old niece to get ready and out the door, I too am at least 15 minutes early for everything. Tardiness irks me, like whoa.

    Mine were stretched to a 2, and you can't tell they were stretched at all, they closed really fast. I think they might be between a 12 and 14 now, still bigger than normal, but they wont shrink any smaller. I can wear normal earrings, I just have to clean them really well, and often. I think I might get some solution from Claire's and see if that helps...i dunno. My body might just be strange and not want to heal correctly....

    i guess a stop at whole foods is in my future tomorrow... ;)

    ReplyDelete