What sounds better than a chowder (or soup) on a cold, dark fall evening? Not much.
As soon as the weather gets cool enough, I whip this recipe out. So yummy, simple and gives you that cozy homey feeling as you are enjoying it.
What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 small diced Yukon Gold potatoes
2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup broccoli florets
2 cans of corn
3/4 cups grated cheddar, plus more to garnish
salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in large pot. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and potato. Saute over low-medium for about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in milk and stock. (add more stock/milk if you think it's needed, I add a little more of both liquids)
3. Add broccoli and corn kernels. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat and simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes or until all veggies are tender.
4. Add 1/2 cups of cheese and stir until melted.
5.Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle into bowls, top with some more cheddar.
7. Put in mouth. Yum.
I love/recommend serving with fresh, warm sourdough :)
Hope you like it!
P.S. Sorry for the lack of step by step photos. I really like showing the steps in photos, but cooking on a work night is a quick, no-nonsense task for me....haha
ALSO, thanks so very much for all the kind Birthday wishes :) You all are the best! I had a great Birthday weekend, filled with sweet gifts, good company, very yummy treats and some much enjoyed shopping! Can't wait to show you guys some of the stuff I got....